It’s estimated that 1 in 10 folks could have a seizure in some unspecified time in the future throughout their life.
Under are some tricks to assist in the occasion you witness a seizure:
- Decrease the individual to the ground after which flip them onto their aspect to assist keep away from aspiration.
- Stick with the individual till they’re absolutely awake and time the length of the seizure. After a seizure, it’s fairly widespread for the affected person to be confused or gradual to reply. Often an individual can turn out to be agitated, through which case it’s best to talk calmly and keep away from bodily restraining the affected person.
- Clear the realm of any exhausting or sharp objects. If accessible place one thing gentle, reminiscent of a folded jacket, beneath their head.
- Don’t maintain down the affected person or attempt to restrain their actions. Opposite to earlier beliefs it’s now not suggested to position something within the individual’s mouth—this will additional injure the affected person or trigger a choking hazard.
- In most conditions, 911 might be referred to as particularly if the individual is a stranger to you or it’s their first seizure. If the affected person has a identified historical past of epilepsy it might not all the time be essential to name EMS for each seizure. That is greatest mentioned with the affected person’s neurologist. Nevertheless, 911 ought to all the time be referred to as for seizures lasting longer than 5 minutes or if a affected person experiences back-to-back seizures inside a brief time frame.
In case you or a cherished one suffers from recurrent seizures, please search medical assist by an epileptologist for the most effective final result.
Typically the next ideas can be useful to forestall additional seizures:
- Take treatment as directed, being very cautious to not miss any doses. Don’t decrease or change doses with out the instruction of your well being care supplier.
- Sleep deprivation and alcohol use can usually set off seizures. Speak along with your physician relating to alcohol use and try and get at the least 7 or extra hours of sleep every night time.
- Some prescription and over-the-counter drugs can set off or worsen seizures; these embody Benadryl and decongestants and a few ache drugs. Please overview all drugs you are taking along with your neurologist to assist reduce danger of additional seizures.
Dr. Sadek is the Director of Orlando Epilepsy Heart. He’s an Assistant Professor of Neurology on the College of Central Florida Faculty of Medication and a Scientific Assistant Professor of Neurology on the College of Florida Shands, Gainesville. Dr. Sadek is triple Board licensed in Neurology, Scientific Neurophysiology, and Epilepsy.
Web site: orlando-epilepsy.com